So here are my recommendations for this week. The first is the Bear series by Greg Foley. My favorite of the three is Thank You, Bear! JJ's favorite is Don't Worry, Bear! and we also like the third Good Luck, Bear! I think these books will go on JJ's Christmas list. They have a cute story and simple, charming pictures.
My other recommendation is Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear! by Nancy Carlstrom. Jesse Bear is a whole series of books, but this first one is our favorite. It's a cute poem with very detailed, colorful pictures. Happy Birthday, Jesse Bear! and Where is Christmas, Jesse Bear are also good.


3 comments:
It's so interesting where life takes you. I can't imagine being in the market for children's books, but when you were my age, you shopped for the kinds of books I shop for now, too!
I do love picture books though. I don't have any, but I've always loved my mom's collection of beautiful picture books.
I'll have to have JJ show me some of his books the next time I'm over visiting!
I'd LOVE any recommendations you have. We have the same problem at the library - shelf after shelf of bad art, pointless text and annoying characters.
(One of my "favorites" is Baby Dance. In infertility circles that is what they call trying to conceive...doing the baby dance...BD... Every time I see that book I recoil a bit, disgusted. A children's book about....oh, wait, dancing babies...never mind... But I still refuse to let the kids check it out.)
We did check out Teeth are not for biting (not true, the whole point of having them is to bite stuff) and since we started reading it over and over and talking about how much biting hurts we haven't had any biting. Of course, we also read Hands are not for hitting and they're still beating the crap out of each other...
I found this website today:
http://www.thereadingtub.com/index.asp
It has a foreign language section, with reviews of the book and recommendations (buy, borrow, skip). I've requested a bunch of them from the library, so we'll see if their taste fits mine. Thought of you, though, so I figured I'd pass along the link. :-)
Post a Comment