Monday, January 18, 2010

Potty Training

So this is it. Today we started seriously potty training. I have been dreading this day. I'm really not looking forward to this journey, although I am really looking forward to the final destination. It's 5:19 p.m. and so far, we have kept the pull-up dry. However, this entails setting a timer for every hour so that we can sit on the potty. It's a lot of interruption in a day already frequently interrupted by nursing and other baby needs. I'm never going to get anything done. My goal is to have him completely potty trained by the fall so he can start pre-school. Do you think we can do it in 8 months? I hope so. Our biggest obstacle is JJ's personality. He knows how to go potty, he just would rather stay in a diaper. He frequently comes to me and tells me he just went in his diaper, like he is mocking me. So, we'll see how this goes.

4 comments:

somebody's parents said...

Don't think of it as mocking, I think it more just wanting you to know he is in control of the situation. I wouldn't be any accomplishment to control the situation if he didn't tell you about it.

LL said...

You'll absolutely get it. You give it a good try right now, and if he is really just being too stubborn about it, you go back to diapers for a month and then try again.

What worked for me (sort of...): M&M when they use the potty (1 for pee, 2 for a poop, a bonus one if going in there in the first place was their idea). I told Javier all about a big boy class that you have to be potty trained for (gymnastics at the Y, actually turned out to not be true, potty training was NOT a requirement, but I didn't know that). Then I'd remind him that if he wanted to take the class he had to be done with training. He was excited enough about that to buckle down. I also would give myself an M&M if I used to potty and compliment JC when he used it.

And it totally DOES feel like mocking and it is SO HARD (was for me) to detach from that and focus on the task at hand. I have nothing to offer there, except you are welcome to call and complain any time. :-)

More Bacon said...

I have no pearls of wisdom, and there's no way to explain it to him, but it will sure make it less stressful to baby-sit those boys when JJ gets the toilet thing down. The little diapers I can do okay, but when they get as big as JJ...I always worry that he's going to need a new diaper when I'm watching him. It's not that I can't do it, but you know...ew...

And Mauri ended up with a big truck in his pants last time I watched him, so...

Good luck! I'm sure you guys can do it!!

somebody's mother said...

In any relationship or project, the person who cares the most has the least power. You'll figure out ways to help him care about it more than you do, and if he's really ready, he'll make it work.

Don't worry if he has some missteps right now. Once it is warm enough for him to go out to the sandbox,you will have a new bargaining chip; wet pants- no going out to the sandbox for xx number of minutes, or something like that. Plus, it's easier to work on if they aren't wearing so many clothes.

Lots of good things can happen in 8 months. Good luck!