Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Technology is making me impatient

Jer was telling me about a study that determined that the Internet was making us stupid. I don't know about that, but technology is making me impatient.

A couple of weeks ago, my extended family was in town for my cousins wedding. I was bemoaning Ryan's sleeping problems and another cousin told me about a book his wife swears by, but he couldn't remember the name of it. That night I got on the internet and found the book I thought he was probably talking about, but just to be sure I called as soon as I knew his wife was available and verified the title.

I checked the books availability on-line for my two local book stores, but neither had it in stock. So I checked out Amazon but it wouldn't get here for at least 5 days. I needed the book NOW. And then I remembered that we have a Kindle app for our Ipad and Ipod. (Kindle is the Ebook reader from Amazon). Sure enough the book was available for Kindle. So now the dilemma. It's a reference book and so I would like to have a hard copy so I can flip between chapters and only read what was pertinent, but I'm also impatient and didn't want to wait the 5 days to get the book in the mail. What's a girl to do?

I'm sure you guessed what choice I made. I had that book purchased, downloaded and had started reading it in less than 5 minutes. Totally Impatient!!!

3 comments:

Smith Family said...

what's the name of the book?

somebody's parents said...

Sounds like the totally rational, logical and in fact, the only decision!

More Bacon said...

That's what happens when you marry into a family of nerds. I'm sorry that our family enables your descent into impatience.

For what it's worth, that's what happened to the rest of us. :)