Saturday, July 31, 2010

The big 3-0

Last Sunday was my birthday. A big one, a whole thirty years old. It's a little odd to think I'm not in my twenties anymore. But it's all good. We started the celebration on Friday. Our state holiday was on Saturday so Jer got the day off and smoked ribs for me for lunch and we were still so full that all we had for dinner was Cold Stone Ice Cream. JJ thought that was an excellent dinner. Saturday was a holiday and so we got together with family for a BBQ. For dinner I made lettuce wraps, another favorite and we went and got milkshakes. And Jer brought home flowers. You'll notice that "celebrating" in my mind primarily concerns the food consumed. Sunday is a tough day to have a birthday, especially when Sundays are already the hardest day of the week as far as kid schedules are concerned. In the morning, I opened presents: a Nike plus, a shirt and shorts. The day before, Jer took JJ to go pick a card. Apparently, before coming in the house, they had a discussion about not telling mom about the card and keeping it a secret. So as soon as they walk in the house JJ announces, "Mom, I got you a dinosaur card." And he had. Jer tried to talk him into a purple flower card, but he was undeterred. It was great.
So we went to church; I had to teach the RS lesson. After we had tacos and soda, and then German chocolate cake and ice cream. And because of the state holiday, we were allowed to light fireworks, so we spent an hour outside setting off fireworks. It was only 7 at night, so not very dark, but it was fun all the same.

4 comments:

somebody's parents said...

Happy Birthday Jenn.

We are so glad you are part of our family.

You are a wonderful wife and mother. Everything we could hope for!

More Bacon said...

So fun!! I've been giggling about JJ's inability to keep a secret ever since you told me. Too funny.

In all the food mentioning, you didn't say you went to ihop. Isn't that part of your tradition? Should we ditch your hubby and have some belated birthday pancakes next week?

Smith Family said...

Happy birthday! That's a cute picture of you! Glad you had fun celebrations! I agree that it's all about the food! Sorry you had to teach RS on your birthday!

LL said...

Happy Birthday to Yoooooou!

Sounds like a pretty great birthday. :-) Sure glad we've got you in our family now!!!