Earlier this month JJ took swimming lessons. It was quite the adventure. JJ loves the water, but does not like to get his face wet and has never on purpose put his face in the water. Bless his teacher, she was so patient with him. For the first week, all he wanted to do was play with her little rubber ducks. And whenever she was busy with another kid, he's walk away to go sit on the steps. When I asked him why he was running away, he would tell me that the wind was really strong and it was blowing him away and he just couldn't stay with his teacher. He really liked the water and being with his teacher, but he just did not want to participate. Eventually, the teacher just started dunking him under the water.

But on the last two days, he finally got over it and started putting his face in the water and blowing bubbles.

Above you can see him plug his nose, he's about to go under.

And getting his noodle tied around him for the trip to the deep end. I don't know what made the difference, but I think it was probably his teacher, she was great. And now, when we go to the pool he likes to practice his swimming lessons. He sticks his face in, he does his front and back floats, baby kicks and mama kicks and big ice cream scoop arms. So in the end, this turned into a positive experience for him.
3 comments:
I am so pleased. It is wonderful that someone has been willing to take the time to be patient (both mom and teacher!). He will have a richer life because you have been patient.
So glad that it turned out well. They day I took him there and watched him sob through part of the lesson, I thought he may never like it, but sure enough, he did just great. I thought his teacher did a great job of keeping him working on it even though he was scared and a tad bit resistant...
Next time his Kohler cousins come to town, they'll all have to go swimming together!
Yay! Javier is in level 2 now, but still plugs his nose some and is nervous. But MUCH better than before - those level 1 teachers are awesome.
Andres just needs to learn to swim before he drowns himself - that kid has no fear...
Post a Comment