When we moved we left our beautiful garden, but inherited a well tended peach tree at this house. This weekend, the peaches just couldn't wait, so Jer and I spent Friday night and Saturday canning 28 bottles of sliced peaches. I've never canned peaches before, but luckily Jer is an old pro thanks to his mom and all their fruit trees when he was younger. He had us a whole system going and it was pretty efficient for there just being two of us. The only problem we ran into was that our new stove is flat and it takes a long time to get 21 quarts of water to boil on that kind of stove. So it slowed us down a bit, but we got better and better and by the last load, we were pros. The best part was that it was just fun for Jer and I to be doing something like that together. I loved just being with him, and I couldn't have done it without him.
While I'm on the subject, Jer deserves lots and lots of good husband points this week. I've been a little whiney and cranky and he just listens and puts up with it and is so helpful around the house. I've also been the recipient of many leg, back and neck rubs this week, which are much appreciated. I think I'll keep him around for a little longer :)
3 comments:
I always knew he had potential and I was sure glad when you came along and gave him a reason to live up to it. :-)
Way to go on the peaches!! I'm a chicken - I'm considering the possibility of doing something next year, or not...
How awesome! I used to love canning fruit as a kid. I think that you're right--it's just about being together and working together and then accomplishing something so tasty (and as a rule, I tend to think that canned peaches are really pretty, too. I have the same fond feelings about freshly canned applesauce as well...mmm...). What you need to do next is to can cherries--the best part of that is taking all the pits out of the cherries. You use this little pump and kind of smash each pit out. Very theraputic, doing all that smashing.
I'm glad he's taking such good care of you! It's so nice to have someone to listen to you and give leg/back/neck rubs on top of that. How fabulous!
I was just reading the baby center email (crenshaw melon this week...whatever that is...) and getting so excited for the baby to be born. I officially do not go anywhere without my cell phone anymore, and I sleep with it right next to my bed so I could answer any time, day or night. He's gonna be so cute!
The true kudos go to Jeremiah's dad. He always took charge of the canning every year and the rest of us just did whatever he knew needed doing. And he always did the hardest part- peeling and pitting peaches or pears (pears are the worst!), washing and cutting up apples, etc. What a man!
Post a Comment